A bunch of recent signs that are reminding me that I’m an adult now… so I should act like one. I guess.
1. I have lots and lots of gray hair. My older brother asks why I have so much, and I say, “because I am my father’s daughter.”
2. I got a MySpace friend request for the MySpace page of my 10 year high school reunion. It’s coming up next year. Yikes.
3. I couldn’t truly enjoy Prince’s halftime performance yesterday because I had to explain to my younger cousins (in diapers or not yet born when Purple Rain came out) why Prince was worthy enough to be the performer for the biggest sporting event of the year. They were comparing him to Ashley Simpson!
4. I remember when rock was young. Oh wait…
5. I get my own invitations to birthday parties, weddings, and other family events. In the past, my parents would get an invitation and then pass the word along about Fulanita’s quinceañera.
6. My parent’s now ask me when I’m “going to go home” late on Sunday night when I’m still lounging around their house.
7. I’m asked to speak about the history of student activism at UCLA at MEChA retreats.
8. College tuition was a lot more affordable when I was an undergraduate and the first time I registered for classes, I did it over the phone rather than online.
9. My friends have real jobs. So do I. The students I work with call me Ms. Mosqueda. Weird.
10. I walk around campus and say/think, “those buildings were a pile of dirt when I got here” or “I remember when there was a building here.”