For Halloween 2000, my friends (the Ratas) hosted a 1980s themed party. I dressed up as Punky Brewster. My roommates went as metalheads or punks. Another friend dressed up as an old school chola. It was scary.
She greeted everyone when they knocked at the door of the Ratas’ apartment with a harsh “whaddaya want?” All the party guests were thrown off by the chola in front of us, until she laughed and we realized it was our friend.
1980s style chola
- Pendleton shirt over a white t-shirt or ribbed tank
- Baggy Dickies (khaki colored) held up with a black letter belt
- Nike Cortez or other old school sneakers
- Long, permed hair; tease up your bangs (the higher, the better; use AquaNet liberally)
- Dark makeup, heavy on the eyeliner and lipliner
- Gold script name on a necklace or a small cross
- The three dots or a tear drop
- Bonus: a new name (e.g., la Sad Girl, Smiley or Shy One)
The chola costume can be done pretty well, but I’d be careful where you go. In the case I mentioned above, the party was on the Westside and was attended by a bunch of college students. If you’re wondering whether or not the costume is a good idea, it’s probably best to leave it at home.
Photo by Pantavila used under Creative Commons license.